How Is Your Balancing Act?
The coveted “work-life” balance – everyone envies those that seem to have a successful career, yet still find time to relax and enjoy family and friends. Having a healthy work-life balance enhances both sides of the coin. Research has shown that not only does it improve overall enjoyment and happiness, but also, it improves productivity on the job. Evidently, finding that happy medium is quite important for both personal and career-focused advancement. However, it is easier said than done. It is easy to get caught up in the “extremes.” Often, individuals find themselves completely unmotivated or hyper-motivated, with barely anytime to do anything else aside from eat, sleep and work. But, chin up! A healthy balance is not impossible to achieve. Here are 5 tips to enhance your balance:
- Exercise – Exercising is important for both physical and mental nourishment. Waking up early is difficult, but if possible, try to make a morning workout part of your daily routine. Whether it be a quick walk, or stopping in at the gym, a brief 20-30 minute workout a few days during the week will make a world of difference.
- Sleep – Are you getting between 6-8 hours of sleep per night? Well rested individuals typically perform better and get more done.
- Eat – How often do you skip lunch or breakfast just so you can squeeze in a few more tasks? Don’t do it; you need food for energy. Take Your Lunch Break. Always.
- Manage Your Time – It’s important to avoid bringing your work out of the office. Consequently, be as efficient as possible at the office. Manage your time wisely. Don’t get too hung up on projects or tasks of lesser importance. Make to-do lists, prioritize items, and stick to your plan.
- Take Advantage of Your Weekends – Give yourself some time away from the computer screen and spend time with family and friends. Get outside whenever possible. Do things that will refresh your spirit and make you happy.