Senior Engineer (Safety & Environment)
Senior Engineer (Safety & Environmental)
Energy & Marine
Based from Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth
£41,658 - £53,385 starting salary dependent on experience and location
About the role
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme, as well as, providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK.
We are looking for a Senior Engineer to join our Safety Engineering Group (SEG), which provides safety and environmental engineering management services for surface ships, submarine and commercial projects but excluding those with a nuclear implication.
As the Senior Engineer (Safety & Environmental), you will provide professional safety and environmental engineering support to surface ship, submarine and commercial projects. You will provide safety and environmental case input to non-conformances and design changes for specified systems. In addition, you will support other members of SEG in developing non-nuclear safety and environmental assessments or cases.
As well as this, you will plan and control work to time, cost and quality. You will provide support in your own engineering specialisation to other members of the safety team. Lastly, you will produce safety and environmental reports and cases.
What do I need to do the role?
You are required to have an extensive engineering background in a relevant discipline and ideally experience of safety and environmental assessment/management processes that are specifically directed towards systems or product safety and environmental assessment.
- Experience of working with MOD processes and publications, in particular: POSMS, POEMS, DSA01 & 02, JSP 430, JSP 418 & Def Stan 00-56;
- Authoring of Technical Reports;
- Chairmanship and recording of Technical meetings;
- Experience of constructing a safety argument in accordance with the First Sea Lord's Safety Argument, Goal Structured Notation, Claims/Argument/Evidence etc.
- Experience of facilitating/undertaking Hazard Identification and Assessment exercises using some or all of the following:
- Structured What If Technique (SWIFT)
- Hazard and Operability Studies (HazOpS)
- Fault Tree Analysis
- Event Tree Analysis
- Failure Mode Effect & (Criticality) Analysis (FME(C)A)
- Good knowledge of Naval Engineering in RN ships and/or submarines would be advantageous;
- Experienced in multidisciplinary engineering environment;
- Knowledge of environmental issues & legislation would be an advantage;
- Good presentational, written, analytical and IT skills.
- Ideally Degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
- Preferably already hold the Defence Maritime Regulator's (DMR) Ship Safety & Environmental Management Training (SEMT) or Ship Safety Management Office (SSMO) Certification (training will be arranged if required);
- Ideally you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g. IMechE, RINA, IET, SARS etc.) and hold Chartered or Incorporated status (or be working towards);
Consideration will also be given to those who may not meet all the requirements outlined above but are willing to undertake further development and training as required.
What else do I need to know?
You will work 36 or 37 hours per week Monday to Friday, dependent on location. We offer flexible working and you must be able to achieve the appropriate level of Security Clearance. Lastly, this is not a Health & Safety or SHEF type role; it requires an extensive engineering background in a relevant field.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices.
Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments.