Principal Software Developer
Principal Software Developer - Center of Excellence opportunity
- Location: Ireland - Dublin - Hybrid - 2 days a week in office
- Job type: Full time - Permanent
- Salary: up to €120,000
- Sector and subsector: Information Technology - Finance
What can you expect:
My client is creating a Centre of Expertise (COE) with the mandate of driving up the quality and value of software delivery and implementation across the enterprise.
The COE will contain a small number of experts in Agile software engineering, test automation, technical training, development tooling and metrics management, along with development teams to support the creation of central API based services, and centralised security patching.
The team will additionally be responsible for increasing overall code quality, reduce time to market and support required for applications.
The Principal Engineer with focus on the processes and disciplines around software creation. Drives consistency of code generation, documentation, a focus on disciplines such as "secure by design" and drive code reuse across the enterprise. This role will report into the Development COE Leader.
What you will be rewarded with:
- Competitive salary with annual review
- Up to 12% pension contribution
- Healthcare cover
- Study Support
- Flexible working arrangements/work from home
- Sports & Social clubs/Wellness Programme
- Paid annual leave and ability to purchase additional leave days
- Travel ticket/bike to work/dental are optional
- Subsidised canteen
- 35 hour working week
We will count on you to:
- Recruit the new engineering / SDLC team working in collaboration with the other COE leads. (Agile coaches, training, test engineering, and Devops)
- Establish standardized delivery processes for SDLC to include both Agile and waterfall methodologies.
- Develop and maintain best practice development frameworks and establish standards including modern development tools
- Accelerate developer on-boarding, increase overall code quality and reduce time to market. Simplify support.
- Develop practices and guidelines to improve consistency and reuse of code
- Provide technical guidance and educate team members on development practices releasing production-ready software on a regular basis.
- Be Expert developer in an Agile environment
- Able to own the SDLCs and to improve them in partnership with other COE leaders bringing better quality software to market faster
- Assist divisional development teams with filling open roles and skill sets that will evolve the organizations development practice, achieve lower cost, and promote faster delivery
- Assist the COE lead in analysing the development capabilities within the firm and identify opportunities to centralize and consolidate common development activities such as RTB support and minor enhancements
What you need to have:
A senior development leader that has significant experience of software delivery using Agile methodologies at scale.
Must have systematically and effectively transformed development teams and lead them on the "Agile journey". They must be a thought leader in the Agile space and able to gain the respect of the Heads of Development across the business units.
The holder of this role must be a strong leader, able to sell a vision, communicate well and motivate. They must be able to engage with senior stakeholders, understand their challenges and influence through compelling outcomes.
- Has run development teams / delivery for 10+ years
- Expert in contemporary application development stacks including MEAN, MERN, Microsoft and other emerging open source technologies.
- Experience designing and deploying applications on cloud infrastructure with providers such as AWS, Azure, or Google. Experience building cloud native software architectures.
- Experience working with Agile, Lean and Continuous Delivery approaches, such as Continuous Integration, TDD, Infrastructure as Code etc.
- Experience with container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Practiced experience refactoring, design patterns, design driven development, continuous integration, system and application design, application security.
- Industry experience in end-to-end solution design and development of Microservices, service-oriented architecture (SOA) and object-oriented programming (OOP) models
- Sound knowledge of various security models and best practices including but not limited to Application security, Authentication, Authorization, SSO, database level security, encryption schemes & standards
- Strong experience working with SQL and No-SQL databases.
- Working knowledge of networking, firewalls, load balancers etc.
- Experience with large-scale, high availability server architectures
- Experience in CI/CD pipeline to deploy applications, preferably in the cloud
- The ideal candidate is an excellent communicator and has experience working with both technical and non-technical colleagues in a cross-functional environment.
- Able to work collaboratively with peers from all divisions across MMC, able to lead discussions, build consensus and encourage adoption.
- A lifelong learner with an appetite for change.
What makes you stand out:
- Financial Services / insurance experience preferred
- Work in large International firm with both On-Shore and Off-Shore development teams
Candidate must have EU Citizenship, Stamp4, or Stamp1 visa.