Mastering online networking
As the world's largest professional social network, LinkedIn now plays a big part in finding a new job. A good profile helps you to stand out from the crowd. It's not just about the job you do, it's about showing the world who you are and what you're best at.
At Manpower, this is something we know all about. Every single one of our recruitment consultants take part in #RelationshipsMatter, an ongoing training programme to make sure that we're all up-to-speed on the latest developments in the world of social media.
Optimising your profile helps potential employers find you when they're searching LinkedIn for people to join them. So what should you be doing? Here are some ideas:
- Add your photo – People are much more likely to connect with you if your profile include a photo, so make sure you include a headshot of yourself in professional attire
- Change your professional headline – Include your job title, company name, and what you specialise in; this will help you to rank highly in search results when potential employers are looking for suitable candidates
- Include a summary – Sum up in two-three paragraphs who you are, what your job involves, why people should connect with you, and some information about the organisation you currently work for
- Ask for recommendations – Don't be afraid to ask your old boss and people that you've worked with to recommend you; it's a great way to show from an outsider's perspective what you're really like
- Regularly send out updates – Stay at the front of your connections' minds by sharing news and information about what's happening in your sector, this helps to build up your credibility
- Join groups – This can help you to showcase your expertise to other people in your sector.