- Our jobs
- Register your interest
- About us
- Why apply?
- Key Information about the job
- More about the job itself
- What is it like to work here?
- Where are we recruiting?
- Are you eligible to apply?
- The recruitment process
- Disability and the Guaranteed Interview Scheme
- What's involved in the training?
- Candidate Information Pack
- Contact us
More about the job itself
What are we looking for?
We are looking for very large numbers of dynamic, enthusiastic individuals who have a passion for customer service and are excellent communicators. You do not need to have any knowledge or experience of tax or in fact any work experience in order to apply, but you will have an interest in becoming the voice of HMRC.
You will need to;
- have excellent telephone skills and be confident dealing with customers both verbally and in writing;
- be helpful, customer-focused and never fazed by a deadline;
- have basic skills in using a range of computer systems including Microsoft Windows and Office; be able to navigate around internet-based programmes and be able to navigate effectively between different IT systems;
- be able to make yourself clearly understood in communications with customers and colleagues alike
- be flexible between call-handling and processing duties; flexibility is key to this role;
- work as a key part of our team to improve productivity and quality, and support the implementation of continuous improvement;
- meet the high standards of conduct and behaviour that is expected of a civil servant.
What would you do?
Your work will be handling customer telephone calls.
In addition your duties will include:
- Replying to internal and external customer correspondence by email, telephone and webchat;
- Using various computer systems to update/maintain and create new customer records;
- Providing accurate information in a professional and helpful manner by collecting and assessing; relevant data and information from various sources;
- Processing electronic work & digital information;
- Handling more complex queries and issues, making sure they are all resolved quickly and efficiently;
- Identifying, recording and resolving customer complaints;
- Helping with general administrative duties;
- Pursuing customers debt by telephony and correspondence.
Please note: you could be working for a number of directorates within Customer Service dependent on the location you apply for and the roles we have available. We may also offer successful applicants roles within any HMRC business group at this grade.