What are we looking for?
HMRC is currently looking to recruit a significant number of senior tax professionals to fill a range of key roles dealing with Corporation Tax, Income Tax, Employer Duties and VAT.
You’ll thrive on applying existing skills and knowledge in creating solutions to problems, and have a clear understanding of the tax regulatory framework in which UK businesses operate.
Your experience will help you to identify cases and case characteristics which may indicate a risk of non-compliance. With a well developed ability to translate complex concepts into concrete practical proposals, you’ll explain those concepts and proposals, clearly and understandably, to non-technical colleagues.
You are likely to be currently operating at a senior level, possibly in an accountancy or tax firm; in a legal environment or in industry as part of a business’ tax department. You’ll have considerable recent experience of providing advice to employers with a large number of employees.
To apply for any of the roles stated (role preferences will be sought during the interview process) you will be required to have ONE of the qualifications shown below or an accredited recognised qualification:
- Chartered Tax Adviser – CIOT
- AIIT (including Paper 4*) or a Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies membership qualification e.g. Institute of Chartered Accountants of England & Wales (ICAEW), Institute of Chartered
- Accountants in Scotland (ICAS) Institute of Chartered Accountants Ireland (ICAI)
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountancy (CIPFA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Holders of an Advanced Diploma in International Taxation (ADIT)
- Post Graduate full legal qualification - in taxation matters
- For previous or existing HMRC employees TPDP or predecessor qualification (IDP, ITS2, CPT FT2). - (note - existing HMRC employees would only be eligible if they have completed the appropriate course to get them to G7 level (or above) in a tax professional role.)
Engaging with customers (whether corporates, businesses, employers or individuals) on a wider range of issues, you will lead important cases. You will:
- operate at the heart of one or more collaborative teams. Each team will be focussed on a specific customer’s tax affairs.
- identify and manage aggressive tax planning techniques used by customers.
- work proactively with HMRC’s customers to reduce avoidance and/or evasion and improve compliance.
- establish open and transparent relationships with customers that are characterised by collaborative working and real-time engagement.
- provide expert advice and insight to help identify and assess tax risk within customers’ affairs.
- improve broader risk assessment using previous experience.
- increase HMRC's capability to deal with the risk of non-compliance among customers and employers.
Opportunities nationwide and salary information
* Please indicate your location preference(s) within your online application.
Regional centres are in: